Q&A: Employer won’t give dismissal letter


Sophia, before leaving a company in China, is it essential to have a dismissal letter from the employer agreeing that you are leaving? “利齿真名” I think that’s the Chinese translation. What can an employee do if their old company won’t give this document or keep making excuses why they can’t give it? Are there any legal options?


In the situation where the employer won’t give you the proper papers to leave, you can call the Public Security Bureau (PSB) or the Labour Department and tell them the situation. The PSB will, in turn, push your employer to get the paperwork done. This is because your company has a responsibility to cancel your labour certification and let the PSB know your work visa with them is now finished.

– Sophia


Have your employers ever withheld your paperwork? Let us know your experiences below. Is there a legal question in China you’re wondering about? Leave a comment here or email Sophia at sophia@meldiculture.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *